Re: Fwd: Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Gerry,

On 9 Sep 2003, at 21:59, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 > There are certainly a lot of variables as you state below.  If spark length
 > prediction is going to be based on power only,  I would think that using
 > sparkgap throughput power would at least be closer to reality.  Simulation
 > results that I have seen in the archieves that Richie Burnett has done for
 > static spark gaps sheds some light on this but is certainly not the total
 > answer.  Terry Fritz has a good web page that talks about matching the
 > output impedance of the secondary to the streamer impedance that maybe sheds
 > light on some of the points you bring up.

I'm a bit leery about the idea of streamer impedance matching because
it is not only dependent on the type of streamer (attached vs air
e.g.) but dynamically chooses its own impedance based on charge
availability. c.f. the gap for instance. That's my story anyway.

Malcolm