Re: Static Spark Gap question

Original poster: "WIZZARD ." <pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Apply the 15KV accross a safety gap and adjust it so it "just" stops arcing.
Remove power, then measure the opening of the safety gap.
Divide this number by the number of gaps between your pipes.
Pipes should be installed as parallel to each other as possible. Each gap
doesn't have to be perfectly spaced unless you really like that appearance.

More pipes means less space in between each pipe.
Small gap spaces get clogged and/or shorted by surface irregularities on
the pipe usually in a short period of operation time. Overall coil
performance suffers. ( Fine sandpaper time )

My NST 15KV/120mA NST powered coil uses a RQ gap with 10, 3/4" Cu Pipes
about 4.5" long.
A good circulation of air through the gaps is needed for this power level.

Tips to avoid dissapointment :-)
        1) Don't make the main gap larger than the safety gap.
        2) Don't use a mains resonant capacitor.
        3) Don't apply 140 VAC to NST through a variac.
        4) Use a Terry Filter!

Members correct me if I'm wrong.

http://join.msn-dot-com/?page=features/featuredemail