Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

Original poster: "Rikard Titus" <rikard_titus-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: Paul Nicholson
>
>Dr. Resonance wrote:
>
> > The planar antenna does work as Terry has calibrated it against
> > his fiberoptic probe pickup.
>
>The problem, as Rikard Titus alludes to below, is that the
>calibration is invalidated by the presence of space charge and
>streamers around the topload and secondary.  The output signal
>from the probe depends on the capacitance between it and the
>secondary/topload - and this may be quite a bit different during
>breakout.
>
>Rikard Titus wrote:
>
> > I doubt the method of pick up antenna you described was useful
> > for precise measurment of secondary voltage for coils producing
> > discharge though.
>
>I suppose this decalibration would diminish with probe distance,
>because the TC would more closely approximate a dipole when seen
>from a distance and the precise details of the charge distribution
>would have less influence on the readings.
>
>But having said all that, maybe in reality these effects are not
>too great.

I'm suspicious about high precision of the method dr. Resonance uses ,yes.
I thought he included some corrective well-determined factors to
redecalibre antenna readings in controled one shot conditions and didn't
insist on further questions regarding that matter.

kind regards,

Rik