RE: Disabling the freewheling diode

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

  The reason for a 20A
 > MOSFET is due to
 > the fact it is a complex device getting allot of abuse, and
 > so it is over
 > rated. Well this is how I figure it, perhaps I am wrong?
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Gavin

Don't forget the fact that with solid state devices:

1.  You pay for voltage
2.  Current is free

So, having an overrated device for current is just typically a freebie
that goes along with most high voltage FETs
out there.  Larger FET packages are used basically because they can take
much more abuse then smaller packages so in the long
run they work better especially with higher power SSTCs and CW SSTCs.

Dan