From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:17 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: small tesla-- coil ignition coil powered

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

You can run a car ignition coil directly from the mains. It will charge a
2.2nF cap (like the Bonsai
coil) without any problem. See the power supply section of my wen site.

Cheers,

  > Original poster: "margaret louise"
  > <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
  >
  > Hi, i am considering building my first tesla coil,  > but im kinda stuck
with  > a few things:
  > (there are way to many questions here for one  > post....any help on
anything  > greatly apreciated)  >  > i am planning on building a small
tabletop coil,  > based largley upon Herbert  > Mehlhose's :bonsai  >
Coil"(<http://home.wtal.de/herbs_teslapage/model3.html>http://home.wtal.de/h
erbs_teslapage/model3.html),

  > which i hope will give around 15 cm streamers (has a  > 2.2 nf cap).
  >   Unfortunatley im on a pretty tight budget, and i
  > dont have a NST, or
  > convenient acess to find one (rural Australia) but i  > do have 2 car
ignition  > coils, and have seen a number of sights about that  > saycoils
can be used for  > small TC use  >  >  > 1. can 2 car ignition coils give
this sort of  > thoughroughput to drive a  > coil with the above output?

  > 2.  does anyone have a circuit that they can email  > me  >
(<mailto:tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au)
  > that will drive
  > the coils suitably. ive seen a number of drivers but  > all of the decent
 > higher powered ones seem to run in the low Khz, so  > would any
modifications  > to the coil design need to be made to account forthe  >
much higher than  > normal "line frequency" and the squre-wave output?

  > 3. what is the best  secondary coil form?, PVC? is  > Cardboard Ok?
  > 4. what about primary coil form, Does it really  > matter, or will i get
RF  > losses with the wrong stuff?
  > 5. does anyone have any ideas on how to measure  > output currents at
High  > voltage. eg of NST's ignition coil setups etc?

  > thanks in andvance for any posts...........and if  > anyone has any
advise or  > wants to help me design my coil and be bombarded  > with my
questions.. email me!

  >              Ruben

=====
Gregory R. Hunter