Re: Grounding Question

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/28/03 11:52:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hello All,
>I am confused on the proper grounding for my first TC.  If someone would be
>so kind as to clear it up for me I would appreciate the help. I know the
>secondary RF ground should be a separate ground. Where I am confused is the
>ground for the safety gap on the Terry Filter.
>1.Does the Safety gap ground tie in with the secondary RF ground?
>
>2.Also I have a ground to the NST from the 120VAC supply. Should this
>ground also attach to the Safety Gap ground or should the supply ground
>stop at the NST housing.
>
>I apoligize for asking what is I'm sure a very basic question of such a
>learned group of people. But if you don't ask you don't learn.
>
>I considered not even running a ground to the NST from the supply AC and
>attaching the NSTchassis, RF,strike rail and Safety Gap grounds all
>together. MY thinking was that that would protect everything in case of a
>primary strike from the secondary.
>
>3. Does it matter if the strike rail is a continuos piece of copper tubing?
>I spliced the ends together to add better support to the copper tubing.
>
>Thanks in advance to all who reply
>
>Emmett Secrest

Emmett,

You are correct - connect the bottom of the secondary, the nst case, the
center electrode of the safety gap and your strike rail all to your main RF
ground.  Do not connect the nst case to AC line ground.

The strike rail needs to have an inch or two gap in it to keep from looking
like a shorted turn to the primary which would waste power.

Ed Sonderman