Re: TC -or- the WIFE ! H E L P !

Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

No problem :)

Here's a few strategies for you.....

1. Substitution.

Explain to her that all guys have some sort of a vice/hobby. Some guys
collect things, some guys hang out in bars, some guys make models (and if
you think Coiling is expensive, start pricing brass locomotives in the
larger gauges, even "cheap" HO scale averages $25 for a piece of rolling
stock, and $100 for locomotives unless you want to buy junk, and it gets
exponentially expensive from there). There are guys that play golf, and I
have a friend who takes this WAY too seriously and buys things like a $2000
Ping Putter, I can't imagine what his custom made drivers cost.

There are many guys who like to spend weekends tinkering in their garage on
their cars. This easily fills up half the garge with a vehicle (and often
more of the garage with the parts of the vehicle), then you start buying
tools and numbers get very big in a hurry. I can't imagine how many
thousands I've spent in tools over the years.

Some guys get into Science, and in that realm, Coiling is a VERY cheap
hobby. Start playing with LASERs and Optics and learn real expence. Hand
her a ThorLabs catalogue and she'll quiet right down.

Some guys collect women, but those get horribly expensive, require far too
much maintainence, parts are hard to find, and they only have a 75% duty
cycle (requireing a week of monthly maintainence). They are also very prone
to compatibility issues. There are, a very rare class of "GirlGeeks" but
they are exceedingly rare, and very highly valued. If you're lucky enough
to find one I suggest replacing your current model of wife with a GirlGeek.

2. Compromise.

Basicly, you let me coil, I let you X (where X is, you take her to watch
figure skating or something else she really digs).

3. Equality

Get her a hobby that she enjoys and support it. Match funds with her from
the house budget.

4. Fear Of Loss.

Tell her either you get coils, or you get a new wife. Caution, this one can
backfire on you and you end up loosing half of your tools.

Hope this helps! I've never been married, have no intention of getting
married, and given my current occupation (I own 2 corporations) don't have
much time to end up there. I got snipped this past summer so a
suprise-wedding isn't a worry either.

If all else fails, there's always "Here honey, hold this wire....."

With all apologies and condolences to my dear friend Mark (who is a
newlywed, the poor bastard).....I AGREE DON'T GET MARRIED, it's a great way
to ruin a perfectly good friendship!

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change
the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
     - André Gide, 1869 - 1951