Re: Where am I going askew ?

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/24/03 7:44:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >I read Bart's reply on your questions.  I also ran some calculations on
> >your coil but for some reason, came up with different numbers than Bart did.
> >
> >(Bart, the primary difference seems to be in the resonant frequency of the
> >secondary.  I used 49.75 turns / inch and at a 97% winding factor - i.e.
> >we don't usually achieve a turns per inch as tight as in the wire
> >tables.  I get 1,086 turns total.
>
>Ed, using 24 gauge wire (which is what was used), Javatc calcs 44.4
>turn/inch. 24 gauge is 0.0201' bare and 0.0012" insulation (single build).
>This is nominal magnet wire values from Phelps-Dodge tables. If anything,
>44.4 TPI is on the tight side. In the real world, a closewound coil will
>typically end up with less which can be put on the shoulders of
>human/machine error and tensioning affects. This of course will decrease
>the number of turns per unit area. Your 49.75" is extremely tight for 24
>gauge wire (unless the wire is far outside of nominal values). Possibly you
>used some other gauge?

Bart,

The wire table that I used was originally published by Fr. Tom McGahee a
couple of years ago.  It says # 24 wire is 20.101 dia. in mils or
.0201".  That must be for bare wire with no insulation or coating.  I will
check the Phelps-Dodge tables.

Thanks, Ed Sonderman