Re: Filament help!

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Jim,

5 volt, 6.5 amp filament transformers are not very hard to find at hamfests.

You definitely would not want to use a PC PSU -- too many sensitive
components in the switching power supply section to use in the vicinity of
HV RF.  You don't need DC for a filament supply, anyway.

You can make a custom filament transformer for next to nothing by removing
the high voltage secondary from a small scrapped microwave oven
power  transformer, and winding about 5 turns of 12 gauge wire in its
place.  There is already a filament winding on most MOTs that may be close
to the voltage that you need.  You might improve its efficiency if you
knock out the magnetic shunts between the primary and secondary windings.

Can't comment from experience on the relative suitability of the tubes, but
I suspect that the 4-125 is the more robust tube.

HTH,
Dave