RE: PIC Microcontrollers for VTTC Work

Original poster: "Andy Cleary" <cleara-at-twcny.rr-dot-com>

Hi Adam,

	This past summer I constructed a PIC-Based Staccato Controller
for my VTTC, see http://www.rpi.edu/~cleara/schematics/picstaccato.htm
for info.

	As you can tell from the picture, I constructed and tested this
thing in the worst possible RF conditions, besides being on the VTTCs
topload itself!  I.e. - it was built on a breadboard with long messy
wires, alligator clips to the SCR, no bypass capacitors, no AC line
filters, not enclosed in a metal box, and right next to the coil.  And
guess what?  It worked fine!

	Of course, this isn't to say that adding all those things
wouldn't be a good idea - in fact I would highly recommend that you do.
In fact, I will probably clean it up a bit once I get everything
finalized.  Furthermore, at the time my VTTC was barely working (maybe
2" sparks).  I'm willing to bet that it might behave differently next
to, say, a dual 833 VTTC.

But anyhow, that is my experience.  If you have any other questions feel
free to contact me on-list or off.

-Andy C.

Andy Cleary - KC2GVE
President, RPI Electronics Club