RE: Terry Filter Gap Setting

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I assume that you're setting the gap width with only the NST applied?
Safety gaps should fire only very infrequently, so there's no need to
use tungsten.  7/16" is far too wide; I suspect you need it so wide
because the tips of the rods have sharp edges, which generate corona and
reduce their breakdown voltage.  I suggest you use copper or brass
electrodes that have a large radius of curvature - carriage bolt heads
or brass balls (try the lamp dept at Home Depot).

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

I am about to start sparking again.  I just started adjusting my new
Terry
filter safety gaps.  My question is weather approximatly 7/16" per side
sounds correct for a 12/120 system with 1/8" 2% thoriated tungsten rods
on
the safetygap.  That is about where the gaps fire once and extinguish
when
I first power the NSTs.  Or should I open them a tad more to stop firing

completely?

David E Weiss