Re: PIC Microcontrollers for VTTC Work

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Adam Horden" <electronicmadman-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

>I want to use a PIC in my power control electronics for my vttc (for
>timing etc) but dont know if a PIC will be affected by the HVRF. The
>circuit will be housed in a metal encloser with a very smooth power supply.
>Has any one used a PIC within 6inches of a VTTC?

At the prices of some of the PIC chips nowadays, I'd be inclined to
just  give it a go and see what happens.  Decouple and provide diode
protection where practical - ordinary (fast) diodes for reverse voltage,
Zeners for overvoltage.  Optical isolation is always good if you can do
it.  Note that many fully-isolated SMPSs use opto-couplers on the feedback
loop.

Remember, the smoothest power supply you can get for your control
electronics is a battery.  Sits in the box with no external connections -
read "antennae".

Anyone know if you can still get those feedthrough capacitors that used to
be used in radio chassis?  Thought it would be a good way to get stuff in
and out of a box like this, for decoupling purposes.

My $0.02 or in your case, 0.6p ;-)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith