PowerBox Peer Review

Original poster: Matt Skidmore <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

I like to submit a circuit diagram for comments and reveiw. I am designing
a controller (dubbed PowerBox) with the goal of using it to run 10kVA
transformers and under. I have both an uncommented diagram and a commented
diagram that attempts to explain my logic behind parts of the diagram as
well as indicate design decisions I have not finalized. I have not filled
in exact values for all of my components (mostly resistors) and expect to
do that as I begin choosing specific components.

My biggest concern is the use of variacs for ballasting. I have done my
homework and read up on the subject. I plan to use variacs rated 140v -at-
50A. A variac for each pole for voltage control, and a variac for each
pole for ballasting (4 total). I'm hoping the ballast variacs are
large enough to withstand this use without cutting a slot into them. On my
diagram with comments I have another possible solution to this problem. I
would appreciate some comments on this configuration.

The following link has the diagrams as well as some pictures of my mini
tesla coil.
http://foxxz-dot-net/gallery/tesla

Thanks!
-Fox