Re: Coil woes- where does one get a 60 Hertz strobe?

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/13/03 11:09:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Robert,
>
>I've never used a strobe.  I just observe the spinning rotor under
>normal flourescent light which will show if the rotor is locked
>sync-ly if observed carefully.  As far as adjusting the phase is
>concerned, I do this either by trial and error (first at low power),
>then I gradually change the phase and power level until I get
>everything maxed out..  Or I use my electrical phase controller
>shown at my website, but previously I often used a mechanical
>remote phase adjustment system, and just adjusted for max
>spark length while the system was running.   Using a strobe, one
>cannot determine the needed phase position in advance anyway,
>although a rough adjustment may be posible.
>
>John

John,

I agree 100%.  A strobe will confirm that the motor is locked in sync but
isn't going to tell you where to set it for best performance.  I use your
remote phase controller design on both of my coils and it works great.

Ed Sonderman