Re: MMC Advice

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I think I missed replying to this earlier.  Whoopsie! :)

MOT coils with doubler/triplers are definately not something I have much
experience with, so others may be able to offer better advise.  I would
shoot for 16kV per string.

A person has commented recently (on our forums) that they measured about
300V across a PDT once with only 240 being applied (inductive ballast,
large primary cap)....  Events like that are one of several reasons why I
encourage "overdesigning" MMCs for non-NST coils.  NST coils have been
measured regularly and frequently and few anomalies have been reported wrt
overvoltage in a tuned TC.

Dr. R recommends sizing the capacitor using 800V as the MMC voltage (2000 /
2.5).  And for a coil that sees daily use for many years, I completely
agree!  But for a typical hobbyist who may put only a few hours of
operation on their MMC in its lifetime, I recommend using a voltage rating
closer to the maximum.  For PDT, PT, and MOT coils I suggest a maximum of
1600V per cap.

I would be most interested in comments from others on this matter!

Cheers!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group