strange heating on spark gap

Original poster: "Laurence Davis" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I tried to replace my vacuum cleaner for my sucker style gap.
Thought I could use a 4" boxer type fan.  I figured that they
aren't designed to be used under load, but the volume required
seems to be quite low.

the test showed some positive results, but needs more work to
be successful.

However the problem i noticed...
used a short wire to extend my wire to one side of the gap.
the wire had a small 1/8" ID two turn coil in the middle. wire was 12 gauge
solid and about
6" long.  power is 12kv 60ma w/ 12nf tank cap.

the left side wire was hot enough to burn me after a five minute run. the
right side was nice and cool.
So I'm guessing that the small two turn coil (1/8" ID x 2turns) was adding
inductance that caused the wire to overheat. i.e. added resistance.
Does that sound like a good assumption?

larry.

_