Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

For that matter, the amount of energy needed to squash a quarter into any
arbitrary shape is a lot less than 10s of kJ... It's the dramatic, high peak
power aspect that makes it interesting, even if it's hideously inefficient
(after all, the quarter does get hot, so there's that loss there.)
I did actully figure this out once (but can't find my notes).. the amount of
force required to deform the metal is well known (probably somthing in the
10-20kpsi range (copper's not too strong), and you can figure out the
geometry, so you can calculate force times distance.
Here's a quick ballpark.. assume that the quarter is just under an inch in
diameter (i.e. 3 inches in circumference), and you squeeze it to half size
(i.e. the force acts over a distance of 1/4"). Further assume that the
quarter starts out 0.1" thick, and the yield strength of the metal is
20kpsi.  So, to get it moving takes 3x0.1*20k = 6000 pounds of force.  That
moves a distance of 1/(12*4) feet, call it 1/50th.. That's 120 ft pounds of
work.. 170 Joules  (120*4.54 N/lb * meters/3.28 ft)

Even if you're shrinking steel, with a yield of 60 kpsi, it's still only
about 600 Joules... And yes, there's a kinetic aspect, it takes some energy
to accelerate the metal flying in.

Another way to look at how (in)efficient the quarter shrinker is, is to look
at it thermodynamically. The quarter weighs, what, a few grams? (call it 5)g
Copper melts at about 1100 degreesC.. To melt the coin would require about
0.3*5*1100 =1650 (assuming specific heat of 0.3) calories, or about 6-8 kJ.
The quarter gets nowhere near molten (it doesn't even get to 100C), and
there's no real opportunity for it to dissipate the heat either by
conduction or radiation.

Imagine a big strong screw clamp type device that gradually squeezes the
quarter...