Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
>Good point. With a few 50kJ tests without blowing anything up except air I
>realized I'd have to treat the work coil as a bomb (sounds like one with
>air). I thought manhole covers were iron? What if I used higher and higher
>voltage in the coil (30kv limit at the moment, but can go much higher with
>more caps and a rectified x-ray xformer (125kv), though I'd have to move to
>the middle of nowhere). I agree nickels are stubborn (thanks to the weird
>nickel alloy), but new (1983+) pennies are totally warped (not just shrunk)
>with just 2500J (my first "shrinker") since they are mostly zinc. It seems
>old pennies would be a perfect candidate since they are almost pure copper
>(if you can remove the tarnish since they are hard to find without it). I
>never tried it after the zinc penny goof (turned out to be a blob of
>unrecognizable metal).
>  > Hi all,
>  >
<SNIP>

Mike,

This is getting pretty far off Tesla Coiling - you may wish to move the
discussion over to the HV List. The "sweet spot" for shrinking is a work
coil voltage between 10 - 25 kV. If you try to go significantly higher,
coil flashover becomes a serious problem - strong magnetic forces crush the
coil axially, in the process crushing the insulation that separates
adjacent turns. This causes flashover of the work coil before the current
peak can be reached, reducing the effective compression force that is
transferred to the coin. Bottom line - at higher voltages you'll make a
bigger bang, but the shrinking power is actually reduced. Once you begin
winding coils and discharging them be extremely careful - the hypervelocity
fragments are ejected with surprising force - these little  pieces of
shrapnel can blind, maim, or even kill an unprepared experimenter.

BTW, older pennies (Indian Heads and Wheat pennies through 1942) were made
from bronze (95% Cu, 2.5% Zn, 2.5% Sn), and wheat and Lincoln Memorial
pennies made between 1944-1981 were brass (95% Cu, 5% Zn). After 1982, they
are copper plated zinc. For a variety of reasons, Indian Heads and old
Wheat pennies work the best.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--