Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

Original poster: "Crow Leader" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 6:14 AM
Subject: Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

[cut]

 >  > Modern equivalents are about half the size/weight from what I gather.
 >
 > Actually, much better... The standard squarish can (12x12x29) was 6kJ
using
 > kraft paper/oil.... These days, you can get 100 kJ in the can..

Are you talking about the "new" style of metallized paper discharge caps?
They are supposed to be really high energy density, but without the high
current rating. They are to an extent self healing as well. General atomics
has some great technical documents on these somewhere on their site. They
also mention testing caps in some explosion resistant room with diagrams.
Pretty interesting. I was at a capacitor factory where they test the larger
units in a cage made of layers of plexiglas and expanded metal. It was
pretty dented up too by the way.

KEN