Re: first coil

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <neko4-at-dodo-dot-com.au>
 >
 > I wound what was pretty much a tesla coil secondary
 > ( Its on my shelf,
 > never used) , by hand, I tried winding it with a
 > drill, but the wire
 > snapped a lot, how do you do it?

Use a winding jig. A hand crank thing is OK if you
have an assistant. A better plan is to use a low
RPM/high torque motor to turn your form, while you
guide the wire on by hand. I based mine on an old ice
cream maker motor. You can pick up a new ice cream
maker at Wal Mart for $20, or a used one at a yard
sale or thrift store for $5. I made the jig frame of 2
x 4s, and the axle of a 1/2" wood dowel. I've wound a
number of secondaries on it, and have yet to break any
wire. After I'm done with the winding, I dunk a brush
in high gloss varnish and simply hold it against the
rotating coil. I let it turn until the varnish is
tacky, yielding a drip-free, glassy smooth finish.
Have a gander if you wish at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/jig.htm

Regards,

=====