Re: Mini coil earth?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 6:47 PM
Subject: Mini coil earth?

 > Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>
 >
 > I would like to build a portable mini coil that can be used for indoor
 > demonstrations, where an RF earth is not available.
 >
 > Is there a way to safely operate a mini coil (NST 6kV 30mA supply) using
 > only the building earth?

Make a chicken wire or hardware cloth counterpoise.  The radius should be
about the height of the topload above the counterpoise. Square, round,
hexagonal, matters not... Ground the RF ground (i.e. the bottom of the
secondary) to the counterpoise.  Hook the counterpoise to the green wire
(safety) ground too, but that's not what you're depending on.

almost all the RF current will be carried in the counterpoise.