Re: first coil

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Sorry Nolan, I disagree.  12 AWG wire will work perfectly fine with a
15kV/60mA.  In fact, a year ago I performed a test in which I would compare
output of my
15kV/60mA coil with using 4 AWG stranded welding wire (the orange stuff),
and using 14 AWG HV wire.  In both tests, I got exactly the same output from
my coil.  There was no difference period!  Now if you were using 12 or 14
AWG wire and your wire lengths were like 5 feet plus, then thats different.
But if you keep your connections as short
as possible, 12-14 AWG wire will work fine with no decrease in performance.

Of course, larger powered coils will need much larger wire, but with a
15kV/60mA running only a 0.0106uF to 0.0257uF capacitor, short length 12 AWG
or 14 AWG will work fine.

Dan