Re: MOT current

Original poster: tesla <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi John etal

I tried a different approach here.
I wanted to know the peak current a MOT could deliver into a capacitor
during the peak of the AC cycle

What I did was to put a very low R into the ground side of a MOT secondary
and measure the volts across it with a scope.

The secondary was fed into a Cap across which I placed a small Spark gap.

What I was looking for was the charging spike of the Cap following the Cap
discharge at Vpk. I measured 3amps peak capability in a normal 600watt MOT.
Always been keen to see if anybody on the list had replicated this type of
test. The thinking in doing this is it gave a measurment more closely
related to what was being asked of the MOT in Tesla service

Rgds
Ted L in NZ