Re: MMC advice

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

1200A across 5 strings of caps is only 240A per string - just over half
their rating of 432A peak.  Even if using an "unrecommended" design of 9x3
.150uF caps for .050uF 20kV, the current rating is still within
manufacturer's specified limits....

FWIW, I have yet to come across a functional TC design that exceeds either
the peak or RMS current rating of the caps without also exceeding the
voltage rating by a good amount.  The only feasible designs I've been able
to come up with (using an Excel MMC sheet based off Terry's MMC_Calc2 BASIC
app) that would cause problems use extremely high break rates (well over
500BPS), which cause excessive cap heating.  I could see big coils run with
very low surge impedances causing peak current problems, but only if the
secondary has, say, 400 turns and micro-small toroid.

That brings up a question with all the magnifier discussions going on: how
do the peak and RMS currents look in the primary circuit of a magnifier -
both optimally built using Antonio's research or just thrown together a la
Dave's Labor Day Coil?

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group