From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 9:35 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Terrified Parents

Original poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com

In a message dated 11/28/03 7:02:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >All figures available at
 ><http://www.cpsc.gov/library/data.html>http://www.cpsc.gov/library/data.htm
 >
 >So... statistically, Tesla coils have a better safety record than consumer
 >electronics, trampolines, and candles.
 >
 ><In fact, every job, hobby, sport, activity, or just
 >about anything worth doing carries a certain amount of
 >risk. Tesla coiling occupies a pretty low spot on the
 >risk scale, way below skateboarding, woodworking,
 >cycling, swimming, football, or even driving a car.>
 >
 >Absolutely!!

Hi all,

Yes that's very true but you also have to realize that there is
relatively very few people that play with Tesla coils, probably
less than .01%  of the general population. .01% of nearly 300
million US citizens is still like 30,000 and I seriously doubt that
there are 30,000 active coilers in the USA. I'm sure that there
is a MUCH higher % participation in the other "more hazardous"
activities (mowing grass, burning candles, driving a car, ect.) than
there is in coiling. Since so realtively few people practice coiling, there
is consequently few incidents. I'm sure that most coilers playing it
safe does go a long toward keeping the accidents low, too, though.

David Rieben