Re: toroid mounting height query

Original poster: "Chris Arnold" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

IMHO the best height for mounting a toroid is the one which gives highest
performance ;)  But on a more serious note the toroid must be close enough
that it prevents breakout from the top few turns of the secondary, but also
far enough away that it doesn't magnetically couple energy out of the
secondary system.  In systems such as VTTCs and SSTCs this can result in
large power losses and a very toasty toroid, but this induction heating
effect seems to be less pronounced with disruptive coils.  I have had best
luck with the "equator" of the toroid about 1.5 times the minor diameter
above the top turn on the secondary.

Chris Arnold