RE: Tungsten static gap

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

 > Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>
 >
 > Hello,
 >
 > Why don't more people use tungsten for their static gaps?  Is
 > it strictly a
 > cost factor, quenching factor, or what?  It would seem to me that the
 > reliability and lack of frequent adjustments/cleaning would
 > make this ideal.
 > If there are any negatives, please let me know before I proceed with
 > sticking money into a dead end.  I've got an idea for a novel
 > gap layout
 > using tungsten rod, and it will be forced air with two HUGE
 > muffin style
 > fans, so I don't see lack of airflow being a problem.  I also
 > like to make
 > things once, and I don't mind putting a little extra time and $ into a
 > reliable product.  Please keep in mind that this is going to
 > be powered by
 > two 12/120's.  I'm going to hire a friend who builds rotaries
 > for Dr R's
 > transformers when they are available, but think that a static
 > gap would be
 > better suited to long term NST survival for this coil.  Big
 > NST's like this
 > are too hard to come by.
 >
 > Thanks again,
 > John Richardson

Most people that make static gaps do so because it is easier than
constructing a rotary gap. Taking that further, brass pipe fittings are
easier to obtain than tungsten rods, and cheaper too.

I have a brass blower gap that requires quick rub with emery paper every few
hours of operation. This is not a chore at all, and is part of my set up
routine.

Muffin fans may not have the grunt to force enough air through small
diameter (¼") fittings. I used an 1800W vacuum cleaner motor (in reverse)
and found I had to increase the holes in the electrodes to about ½" to get a
decent air flow.

Tom L.