RE: 5MV pressurised oil immersed bipolar tesla coil by Breit 1930

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 26 Nov 2003, at 19:32, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >

 > Malcolm -
 >
 > I goofed. I agree the Gap in the secondary circuit is probably for
 > measuring the secondary voltage. Now that I look at this diagram again
 > what is "I" in the secondary circuit that is shorting the gap? I don't
 > see a voltage divider.

The voltage divider is formed by capacitance division between the
output terminal and pickup ball. It isn't all that obvious. A direct
connection to the secondary for measuring purposes is of course a no-
no. Basically sniffing the electric field.

Malcolm
<snip>