Re: copper washers

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

	I've been reading all of this stuff on washers and haven't seen anyone
mention the most obvious way of making big washers (that was the
original topic wasn't it?).  Most sheet metal shops have a rotary hole
punch (Rotex or equivalent) which has a bunch of round punches which can
be rotated to select the size and then a hand lever operates the punch.
Trick is to start with a center punch mark, punch out the larger
diameter first, then using the same center punch mark, punch the inner
hole.  My guess is that it wouldn't be hard to find a shop with one
which they'd either let you use or else charge a small nuisance fee to
do it for you.  I've seen punches as small as 3/8" and as large as
2-1/2", not necessarily in the same head.  The beauty of these things is
that they punch a nice flat hole, not like the ones you tended to get
with the old Greenlee type punches with a couple of horns on them to
hold them in place while you tightened the bolt.

Ed