Re: New tesla builder in need of some assistance

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

A small tesla coil like this doesn't need a tungsten
spark gap with brass heat sinks. Save yourself a lot
of time and trouble and make a simple spark gap using
steel "L" brackets, with 1/4" brass bolts and brass
acorn nuts for electrodes. This will be cheap, easy to
build, and easy to adjust. For initial setup you can
use a 6-pack of beer bottle caps for .005uF. After you
get it tuned up you can upgrade to a polypropylene
MMC.

Regards,

 > Original poster: Bob81818-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 >         Hey everyone, first time building a tesla
 > coil, dont really have a
 > reason besides that i enjoy building stuff. Well
 > anyway, i'm 15, taking an
 > electronics class, so i got the basics of
 > electronics and i've done a
 > buncha researching on electrical components and
 > tesla coils, but i dont
 > know everything so pardon my ignorance if i have no
 > idea what some of you
 > are talking about. I have plans for a tesla and i
 > was just wondering if
 > there was some alternatives that you all could
 > suggest for me. the tesla
 > uses a 6KV/.02A transformer, a .005m/20k special
 > high Q capacitor (which i
 > was planning on using a MMC setup if possible) and
 > some odd tungsten spark
 > gap. The spark gap was the main thing i was
 > wondering about though, i'm not
 > quite sure where i can get pure tungsten rods and
 > brass spheres, does any
 > of you know of another spark gap i could use? thanks
 > and which ever else
 > suggestions i'd be glad to hear them, and i have
 > read the safety sheet,
 > although my parents havent, but they know that i'm
 > building it, and for
 > once, trust me. thanks again for the time and help!
 >         Dan

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg