Re: copper washers

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:08 AM 11/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
>is it possible to solder brass ones together (without an acetylene torch)?

You bet.. all it takes is the appropriate flux.  A propane torch would be a
good source of heat, but another approach is a cast iron frying pan on a
stove.  You can easily get it hot enough to melt the flux and solder.  You
can stack up all the parts on a steel mandrel, dip it in flux, stand it up
on the pan, get it good and hot, and just touch the solder to the outside
of the joints and it should just "wick" in.

If the pan gets red hot, you're too hot.  The key on this kind of thing is
to wait long enough for all the brass/copper to get thoroughly hot (which
takes longer than you think).

One problem is oxidation when it gets hot.  Suitable flux helps, by melting
and covering the metal, as well as reacting with the existing oxide.  I've
seen this done, but not actually tried it: putting it in a deep cast iron
pot (like a dutch oven) and flooding the pot with CO2 (from a small hose
from a tank/regulator). He had a sheet of steel over the top with a  little
hole in it to reach in and manipulate the parts (brazing aluminum in that case)

Oh yeah... large quantities of molten flux, etc., >>> good ventilation is
essential.  Do this outside on a camp stove!