Re: John Freau's phase adjuster- a few questions

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 11/19/03 10:48:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I still have fundamental questions about this circuit.  How can an
>UNGAPPED variac perform as a variable inductor when the voltage drop
>across the windings results in core saturation?  When the core is not
>saturated isn't the inductance so high that no useful current can flow?
>How does this differ from just plugging a variac into the power line;
>the magnetizing current (after any initial transient) is quite low if
>the transformer isn't going to overheat at no load......
>
>Ed

Ed,

I think the key is the interaction between the variac, the
capacitor, and the motor itself.  Not that that tells you very much.
It's a difficult circuit to simulate because of the behaviour of
the motor I think.

John