Re: wanted high voltage resistors

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 07:55 AM 11/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>
>Tesla list wrote:
>>Original poster: "colin.heath4" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
>>hi all,
>>         im looking for some high voltage resistors for my marx bank. its all
>>i need to finish. i hope to get 20kv approx 300k ohm
>--SNIP--
>
>What actually makes a high voltage resistor different - is it just a
>stronger glaze?  What I'm getting at is: can you increase the voltage
>rating of a resistor by potting it or dropping it in oil?

it kind of depends on what voltage you're talking about.  Physical size is
probably the most important difference.  You don't want a flashover across
the surface of the resistor.  For instance, if you use the usual (3xfree
air distance) guideline, a 30 kV resistor would need to be at least 3 cm
long (and that would be pushing it).  As you say, though, putting it in oil
would help.

Another important aspect of HV resistors is their power/energy handling
ability.  It's easy to dissipate too much power in a moderate value HV
resistor.  I learned this the hard way when building a voltage divider to
measure 20 kV kinds of potentials, and forgot that 1 mA at 20 kV is 20
Watts. I had 40 470K  resistors in series, but, oops, they were 1/4 watt,
and I noticed that funny smell that tells you that you have made a serious
design error.

Energy handling and peak power becomes important in pulsed power kinds of
applications. A wirewound resistor may be rated at 100W average power, but
may not have a peak power rating much more than 3 or 4 times that (because
the wire acts like a fuse).  Put it into a circuit with a 1% duty cycle
(i.e. 10 kW, 1% of the time) and it may fail somewhat spectacularly (gosh,
I wish I had a video camera for that!).  Pulsed power resistors tend to be
bulk resistive media (e.g. units from Carborundum,Cesiwid,Globar,Kanthal,
etc.) or, as in the Maxwell resistors, a wide card with resistive media on
it, to spread the energy out.

Finally, there's a signficant issue of Voltage Coefficient of Resistance,
depending on the application.  Partly this is due to temperature
coefficient (current heats the resistor changing it's value), partly this
is due to the resistive medium changing resistance in high electric
fields.  If you spread the field out over a longer physical space, then the
field is lower.

Potting for HV is a funny thing.. It can actually make things worse.  Small
voids in the potting may increase the field in the void (or at the edge of
the void) because the potting material and air have different dielectric
constant(epsilon). Potting can also change the thermal properties,
depending on the potting material.  Potting for high performance HV
assemblies is very much a proprietary art, with careful selection of the
filler material and the surrouding matrix for good electrical, thermal, and
mechanical properties, and then careful process control for the
voids.  It's a far cry from sticking the parts in a cooking tray and
pouring in the 2 part RTV.

If I had to say what the *single* most troublesome aspect of HV things that
I deal with at work are, it is potting and related areas.  Components,
mechanical design, circuit topology are all fairly straightforward and you
have datasheets and test data to use in the process.