Re: VTTC MOT doubler, is it safe?

Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com

Hi Jim, good to see you making progress. Don't be
discouraged as VTTC's are real dance. Also my 803
design was done when I was first starting out with
tubes, and I have never revisited it since. Definitely
better designs out there, but if you are getting sparks
then at least you have the basics down. Still really
recommend getting a variac, I had none in the beginning
and I still don't know how I didn't kill more tubes!
833's make for a nice VTTC and can be found on E-Bay
for $20-$40 each (or less), but Caveat emptor! Here is
one:
http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059324888&category=48710

Good luck,

David Trimmell

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:18:43 -0700, "Tesla list" wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell"
 > <Wrenchead-at-starband-dot-net>
 >
 > I tried the doubler, much bushier thicker louder arcs,
 > not too much length
 > increase, I noticed the plate getting a red spot after
 > a short run though, I
 > am wondering why I only get 5-7" arcs when people talk
 > of 19" and such, my
 > design is based on the 803 desing from
 > www.chaoticuniverse-dot-com, and I have
 > the primary tapped at various points which I can
 > change, would anyone happen
 > to have an 833 for sale?
 >
 > Regards - Jim Mitchell

<mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > Mike Poulton Wrote:
 >  >  > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell"
 > <Wrenchead-at-starband-dot-net>
 >  >
 >  >  > Hi,
 >  >  > I recently completed my first VTTC, it uses an
 > 813 tube and a MOT from
 >  >  > 1200w microwave.  I am getting about 5-7" sparks
 > from the breakout
 > point
 >  >  > during good conditions, and I was wondering
would
 > it be at all possible
 >  >  > overdrive this tube and use a doubler on my
MOT?
 > The tube has a max
 > 2200v
 >  >  > plate, and I am afraid if I put doubled MOT
power
 > into it, it will form
 >  >  > fatal arc inside or somthing.  The tube has a
 > graphite plate, so Im not
 > too
 >  >  > worried about it melting or anything, but I am
 > afraid of arcs
 >  >  > inside.  Also, I am not running the tube in
 > optimum conditions, I have
 > the
 >  >  > screen and control grid tied together, and the
 > beam plate tied to
 > ground,
 >  >  > should I change it so that the screen is tied to
 > B+  by a resistor,
 > will
 >  >  > this increase my output noticalbly?  If not, I
am