Re: pulsed lightning

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts"
 > <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
 >
 > On 16 Nov 2003, at 11:37, Tesla list wrote:
 >
 >  > Original poster: robert sauer
 > <thcduke-at-optonline-dot-net>
 >  >
 >  > is there a way to store the energy from a tc
 > without letting it
 >  > disapate into the atmosphere. and pulse it in one
 > gaint bult of
 >  > lightning.
 >
 > Yes. A _large_ coil and giant topload with a large
 > ROC are required
 > together with either a very substantial
 > disruptive-type primary
 > energy or a CW feed to ring the system up with a
 > modest power source.
 >
 > Malcolm
Can you describe the possibility of a CW feed? Are you
saying that if we had a "continuous wave" or a
sinusoidal AC form that was resonant to the secondary
by the length of wire and internal capacitance, or the
usual TC parameters, that it would act the same as a
tesla coil? How would one procure such an input
signal, would it be an amplified signal from a signal
generator? or are you speaking of very large
secondaries where it might be possible to employ high
frequency alternators?

My second question gets more preponderous. If we had
that input signal, shouldn't it be possible to
directly line couple the secondary to that input, by
passing the need for the Primary?  But this would
leave the problem that the top terminal must be free
to vibrate, so we couldnt hook both polarity
connections to the secondary, so do you think only a
single grounded connection to the CW source, (a polar
or one onded circuit) would cause the secondary to
oscillate?
      Or would it make more sense to simply run L and C
in series on the primary, without an arc gap. That in
turn might imply that the source would also need to be
current limited, due to the low resistance of the
primary?
Sincerely HDN