Re: Re:Electrostatics (was Charge distribution on a Toroid (was spheres vs toroids)0

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

 > Not to be confused with magnetic flux (closed lines).  Electric flux are
 > open ended and are in the direction of the electric field.  The movement
of
 > a test charge between two points of differing voltages does not
necessaryly
 > need to take the path of the E field, hence the dot product  E.dl

Thanks Gerry, Yes I am aware of the fact it can take any path. I believe
thats a required property for perpetula motion machines not to exist .
I am rusty on the cross product/dot product too. If I remember correctly the
first is orthogonal and the later is scaler.

 > I think all your statements 1-5 are OK.  Statement 2 is correct as far as
it
 > goes, there are proportionality constants not stated in #2
 >
 > F = q1q2/(4pi*permittivity * r^2)
 >
 > Gerry R
 > Ft. Collins, CO

Yes I forgot the permittivity so it is dependent on the capacitance. The 4pi
must be something to do with the units. I will have to work on that.

Bob