Re: Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil

These claims need further investigation.  A pole xmfr is capable of
providing much more current for very short periods of time, especially when
recharging cap banks.

If you run a pole xmfr with a current limiting device the pole xmfr will not
draw a complete sinusoidal current curve.  It usually is distorted somewhat
as the xmfr and reactance hit short periods of saturation.  It's a fast
event and requires a storage scope to monitor.

I became aware of this even by running a 130 turn current reactor set with a
climbing arc at 25 Amperes.  The reactor was wound with 12 AWG wire and fan
cooled.

After 2 minutes of operation the reactor was smoking hot.  It was handling a
lot more current as the pole xmfr hit saturation peaks.  The ammeter was
bouncing in the 35-45 Amp range.  The TC output was very high and the
"average indicated" power was around 35 Amps.

Now, we use 9 AWG on all of our reactors running at 25-30 Amperes.

John Couture first brought this to my attention approx 15 years ago when I
visited him in San Diego.  Perhaps he could comment on this phenomonea a bit
more as he is a retired power electrical engineer from a large electrical
provider out east.

Magnifiers do gain especially in the area of energy transfer.  With their
tighter coeff. of coupling more energy can be transmitted from pri to sec.
A double resonant transfer provides nearly 90-95% on the second max. peak
whereas a standard TC operates closer to 70-75% max at 0.2 coeff. coupling.
If not moe voltage they offer more current output which makes the sparks a
lot brighter.  Ed Wingate's coil is a very good example of this effect.  His
output sparks were very bright when captured on film as compared to a normal
classic TC.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.