RE: New "MOT" power supplies??

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Some features about the transformer i have.

1, the core has a HUGE gap in it, maybe 1mm.  Obviously this is how they
make it push out 1kW!!  The core is easily disassembled and the windings
are very easy to access and to modify ;)

2, There is good insulation between the core and coils!  Im sure you could
series these.  The plastic bobbin is rather thick (maybe .5mm+), there are
no gaps in it (its all molded) so it wont be able to creep to the core.
Also, there is a rather hefty air gap between the core and the plastic
bobbin!  This means that oil could fill right in there for extra cooling
and insulation. There is probably about 1mm of air between the core and
bobbin.
Also, no connections are made to the core like in a standard MOT where the
secondary is grounded with the core.

3, there are very very few turns on the coil.  It looks like only 15-25
turns on the primary!  The secondary looks like 24awg, it might have about
100 turns or so.  Also, with the secondary being segmented the way it is,
they are easier to wind and dont require perfect winding techniques (like
winding a home-brew flyback! been there, done that... a few times).

I would think that 4 to 6 transformers like these in series (which i think
is VERY possible) would really kick out some power.  If one could find
suitable cores surplus, then come up with a suitable bobbin, then we would
be set!  Or better yet, someone find these actual transformers!  They only
weigh perhaps a bit over 1 lb and are small!  The driver would not need to
be giant either since the switching frequency is maybe 40khz or so (much
easier than SSTC work in the several hundred khz..).

Steve Ward