Re: Getting the bugs out- a little help, please...

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi All -

I need to throw in some cautionary statement. If you click on the
sparklength text in the RSG and Static Gap sections in Javatc, I show the
method used to identify the sparklength discussed. I also indicate the
equation is experimental. The accuracy is not known without a lot of
comparisons, and there haven't been enough comparisons to make a
determination. I want everyone to be aware of that.

While I'm on the subject of Javatc. There will be an update coming soon to
the Static Gap Arc Voltage. Following Dr. R's spark gap measurements, I
started investigating as much work on the subject as I could find. This
past month has been spent studying spark gaps, arc formation, streamer
formation processes, etc... One thing I've learned is our sparkgaps
settings can vary more than I expected. I have updated this section in
Javatc to include sphere-sphere, sphere-plane, rod-rod w/hemispherical
ends, rod-rod w/ flat ends, and rod-rod w/ flat ends slightly rounded. I
haven't uploaded this update yet, but it finished and will be coming soon.
The current sphere-sphere isn't much help to anyone as it pertains to
spheres. Also, pipe gaps probably won't be possible. Arc voltages just get
too nasty with all the variables involved with these gap styles and they
increase with each cylinder. In the end, the best method has been and may
always be calibrating the gap to the transformer.

I'm currently in the process of trying to help out a Mac user. There are a
lot of problems if browsers have Java Sun loaded (Opera, Netscape,
Mozilla). Java Suns JVM is less tolerant when passing arguments between
java and javascript. Thus, the drawing applet often fails to work (except
IE6 [unless IE6 is using Java Sun, then it fails also.]). When I upload the
update, your browser will be sniffed and if it's not IE6 or up, then a
slimmed down version without the applet will load which will hopefully
enable most browsers to use Javatc (say 4.x and higher), well assuming we
can can the Mac up and running.

Take care,
Bart