Re: HV Cables

Original poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

 >Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Jim, all,

My mistake. I meant to say that x-ray cables are designed similar
to coax cable in that the "hot" inner conductors are surrounded
by an insulating medium which is then surrounded by a grounded
conductive shield. Yes, the insulation of x-ray cable is heavy
duty red rubber, probably close to 3/8" thick, not anything like
the foam dielectric of coax cable.

 >>That semiconductive layer is the key to quality HV cable.

Agreed and BTW, x-ray cable is quite expensive too, at retail
cost, but can sometimes be found in surplus lots on ebay for
a fraction of the retail cost.

Dr. R, would this type of cable exhibit the "Blumline effect",
seeing that it is wrapped in semiconductor carbon tape be-
tween the rubber insulation and the braided shielding? I,
for one, have NOT noticed the excessive voltage rise using
x-ray cable as the transmission line from the HV from the
power supply to the tank circuit of the coil.

David Rieben