RE: Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

This is a heavily debated topic.

 >From what i've seen so far, it seems that magnifiers are much more
efficient right off the bat compared to the
average conventional coil.  The best performance I've seen to date is a
video of Richard Hull's Magnifier 11 or something like that.  The free
resonator coil is 4" diameter x 13" in length and puts out over 10 foot
arcs using a relatively
low power (5kW?)

However, magnifiers are much different beasts and have their own set of
complexities.  For example, the complexity of building a fast quenching
spark gap (usually rotary / series hybrid) may well be the crux of the
entire design and may
not outweigh the benefits of a magnifier.

I don't have any personal experience with magnifiers yet as I am
building my first, but I definitely think it is worth
it to explore the tesla magnifying transmitter once you have already
built some conventional coils.

Dan