Re: GE caps - the long answer ;-))

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

>The 42L3332 are pretty strong for a full metalized cap and they often do
>survive and many people have not had trouble with them.  But, some people
>have had them blow up too.  It all depends on what the peak current in
>them is.  So as a general rule, I would not recommend them.  The full
>metal foil caps are far stronger.

We have had a few of the CDE 942Cs blow up as well.  I think of the
reported cases, only one was not officially solved as due to poor design or
construction.  The "anomaly" AFAIR appeared to be a manufacturing defect,
though I honestly cannot remember details of this event.

<snip>

>V = I x t / C  or I = V x C / t  so:
>
>GE = 990 amps peak
>
>CD = 300 amps peak

<snip>

>I suspect Dan's string has fairly low voltage on the caps allowing them to
>survive?

Primaries with a high surge impedance should be significantly "nicer" to
caps regardless of MMC cap ratings or frequency.

It will be interesting to see how an MMC-Marx turns out using the
942Cs....  But I guess that's next summer's project.

John R, why not support us by spending the $3.00/cap at
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc instead?

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group