Re: Am I missing something here?...

If the doorknob caps are DC rated and not RF rated they won't work properly.
They can not stand the RF corona at the edges of the foil and leak and
breakdown quickly.

If it's sitting on a concrete floor, not elevated, you are coupling a large
amount of your primary energy into the concrete.  It has to be elevated for
proper operation.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913
.

 > I've the the 5000/20 NST attached to two 2nF/40Kv doorknob caps in
parallel,
 > for a total of 4nF. From there, I have a single static spark gap which is
two
 > .5 inch copper pipe elbows which are basically impaled on screws and
 > rotatable, and the primary coil which is 4 turns of .25 inch copper tube,
 > with turns averaging 1 to 2 inches apart (It's a little messy right now,
just
 > sitting on the floor bare) which tunes when tapped around 2.5 or 3.5 if I
add
 > the third doorknob cap (Whew - I'd get marked down for a runon if this
were a
 > test).
 >
 > The secondary coil is 26 gauge copper magnet wire wound around a 3 inch
ABS