Re: Ground rod Connection Point

Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>     Just had a quick question regarding the connection point of the bottom
>of the secondary with the ground rod.  My system is a 1.8 kVA conventional
>TC.  My question is: can I tap a hole in the center of a copper clad ground
>rod or should I somehow press a ground strap against the ground rod?

         Either will work.
         I'd go with a clamp type connection.  Thats the way they
         are designed to be used.  Connectors are available
         for not much money.

         Tapping will work, howver poses risk of corrosion.
         Minor riisk, but no other benefit from tapping, in my view.

>     Another quick question:  will a brass strap make a good ground

>strap or is copper far superior.

         Copper is superior, but not hugely, in my view.

>I know that brass is made from copper, but I am  not sure if the

>added element (tin I think) would slow those electrons down a
>lot.

         the added tin is in various amounts, depending on
         which 'brass' is used.  The _speed_ of the electrons
         is essentially unaffected, the loss of energy is
         marginally higher with brass

>I could be making a big deal out of nothing, but I am just looking to
>get the best performance out of my TC.

         I woould concentrate elesewhere in improvement.  SOME find
         grounds of minimal performance benefit, tho i find them
         useful/helpful

         best
         dwp