RE: John Freau's SRSG motor controller question

Hi Jeff,

Interesting.  There are two situations that worry me.

First is that if you switch off the power to the circuit at a peak of the
AC cycle, the cap will store the voltage at that level and 1/2 cycle latter
there will be double the voltage across the switch.  That works out to:

120 x SQRT(2) x 2 = 340 volts across the switch.

Not a big deal, but the switch should be rated for 240VAC instead of
120VAC.  That would apply to fuses and such too.  But 240VAC stuff is
common so no worries.

But what is a real problem is that if you switch the thing on when the
voltage is at a peak of 170 volts directly across a zero volt cap.  That
will cause a very big current spike and could theoretically hit the variac
brushes with:

1/2 x 270uF x 170^2 = 4 Joules.

That will probably cause a bit of high temperature arcing at the brushes
which "might" do visible damage in time.  It is just like discharging the
cap right into the variac brush.  If one were having a bad day and you
"chattered" the switch, so it dropped out for 1/2 cycle, one could hit the
brushes with double the voltage and 16 Joules which is getting pretty
serious.  After the motor controller had been switched on and off many
times, there may be damage apparent where the brush sits during turn
on.  Another problem is that these spikes may blow the fuses for really no
good reason.  The damage could also appear at the on-off switch contacts.

I am looking into the use of Zero Voltage Crossing electronic relays which
are simply a little box that solves that problem.  The relay's logic simply
eliminates these spikes all together.  Big 240VAC ZVC relays run about $50
(I just ordered two ;-))) but they may solve many problems with the basic
circuit at least for "purists" ;-))  By stopping the current spikes, all
kinds of fuse, switch, and brush problems just neatly go away...

This may not be a big problem, but I think it can be fixed easily.  In the
mean time, you may want to check the brush contact areas and switch
contacts for excessive wear.  In your situation, having an unexpected
switch or brush failure stop your dwell controller could be a big pain.

I cannot "predict" some of the dynamic behavior of the circuit without
really trying it, but the above are obvious problems right off.

I think I can calculate the cap value needed accurately with a Kill-A-Watt
meter on the motor too.  Thus one would not have to trial and error the
caps to find the right size.  You could just order them right off, and they
would work.

ZVC relays could also do some vary interesting coil control
functions.  Probably mostly of a scientific rather than practical
nature.  They could easily control the number of bangs so you could say
fire a coil for 7 bangs or something like that.  Might be neat of streamer
growth studies.  Skeldon mentioned this in a paper in 96 but he never did
anything with it...  They could also "soft switch" a coil which might help
with RFI...

Much more testing to do here...  Stay tuned...

Cheers,

         Terry