Re: Successful SSTC Audio Modulation - SWEET!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Basically your parts aren't heating up because I think you are running with
half-rectified input.  Average power is relatively low.
For the audio modulation, you'll need to have a DC rail on the full bridge
circuit.  This is where things get real interesting.  Basically, you'll need
get a nice big smoothing capacitor (i'm currently using 3500uF, 450VDC,
although smaller should work), and a bridge rectifier rated for the voltage
and the peak currents expected.  Running at full 50% duty cycle with no
deadtime even heats up my huge heatsinks with the IXFN24N100 FETs in a
matter
of seconds.  Running with the 25% deadtime between pulses really cuts down
on the average power and also allows for better audio modulation as well.

However, you can try for now just using a high impedance source such as a CD
player and connecting this to the deadtime comparator pin through a 1-10uF
capacitor (block DC).
Also, you can also put a 10k across the CD output just to provide some sort
of load for it.

Putting actual speaker output levels to the pin is a bit risky.  You need to
keep the levels down below a few volts, and also need to convert to a high
impedance otherwise the
amplifier will load the TL494 down.  10k resistors in series works in this
case.

Another interesting way, is to feed your audio signal directly into the
frequency determining pin of the TL494.  Again put a 10k resistor for a load
on the output, then series through a 1-10uF capacitor for DC blocking and
also through a 22k resistor to keep FM compression down.  This way works
well, and provides FM modulation.

Good luck!

Dan