Re: induction heater

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

 > I recall somebody on this list has a web page about a homemade induction
 > heater. Does anybody know what site this may be? I need to make some sort of
 > induction heater to heat parts for my vacuum tube project.
 >
 > KEN

	Any power oscillator generating a few hundred watts will do.
Preferably the tank coil would be just a bit larger in ID than the max
diameter of the envelope of the tube you want to heat.  A spark
oscillator (TC primary w/o secondary) will work as well if you can stand
the noise and the RF interference to other services.  The semiconductor
lab at Hughes Aircraft used a big spark-type induction heater back in
the early 1950's - I don't know where it came from and never thought to
ask.  Didn't last long as it screwed up the work the rest of us were
doing.

	Lindsay publications (look up address with Google or similar) has a
little book on Induction Heaters and I'd suggest you get that to guide
you.  A friend of mine had an induction heater for tube work which used
a pair of 304TL's but don't remember the details as his lab was not in
operation at the time I knew him.

Ed