Re: Frustrating Problems with Gate Drive Transformers on SSTC - Ahhghhghghg! !! ! !

Original poster: "D&M's High Voltage by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DMsHV.DavMcKin-at-verizon-dot-net>

Dan,

If you can, put a small gap in the core of the transformers.  This would
help prevent saturation in the transformers from the DC.  You should then be
able to remove the caps (which would block the DC).

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > I'm having some seriously frustrating problems with the gate drive circuit
 > on my full-bridge SSTC.
 >
 > To begin with, I took a perfectly working single-ended full-bridge
 > (utilizing one-output from TL494) SSTC and converted it to push-pull mode
 > (utilizing both outputs from
 > TL494) to experiment with some audio modulation.  I decided to go bipolar
 > mode with the TL494 so I could utilize 50% of dead time to reduce output
 > power during CW
 > mode during operation.
 >
 > So in operation, half of the full-bridge would be on 25% of the time, and
 > the other half of the full bridge on for 25% with 25% deadtime between
each
 > cycle.
 >
 > Performed my modifications, checked out the TL494 driver circuit - all
good!

 > Rewired my gate transformer so that now Output A of TL494 controls upper
 > left and lower right quadrant and Output B of TL494 controls lower left,
and
 > upper right quadrant of full-bridge.
 > Each control via their own gate drive transformer.
 >
 > Problem is, whenever I apply power now, one MOSFET driver (usually the
 > TC4421 of the TC4421/TC4421 pair of each output) starts to get SMOKIN'
HOT!