Re: Long, Continuous, Steady Streamer Phenomena

Original poster: "Rodney Goolsby by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeronimo-at-bright-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Long, Continuous, Steady Streamer Phenomena

 > Original poster: "James B by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<zebulan123-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > I have run a small coil 3" dia and gotten almost beams
 > as opposed to tradishonal sparks, they last up to a
 > min, I have never timed them. They are fat and seem to
 > be rotating. I put up a post a long time ago on the
 > matter and got no reply. The coil i used had less than
 > 500 secondary turns and was powered from a 12kv 60 ma
 > NST. I have almost reproduced this effect with a coil
 > having more secondary turns but the "sparks" are more
 > fan shaped than a whip like beam. I have no pics but
 > will set the system back up and take some if anyone is
 > interested. I to first noticed this on a smooth
 > top-load but was able to get the same results from a
 > dryer duct.
 > --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 >  > Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz
 >  > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Perhaps the air remains ionized long enough between
 >  > breaks... I would say if you run big coils outside
 >  > then
 >  > the air doesn't stay put long enough for this to
 >  > happen. (ie wind) But small coils inside...
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
Just an Idea that popped in my head, but could current of the streamer have
any effect? Wouldn't more current cause a hotter, perhaps brighter spark?
Wouldn't this hotter channel of air have a lot lower breakdown voltage,
allowing it to remain in place between many bangs? On a different note one
of my friends coils had about 450 turn and was powered by a 12/30 nst and
got constant, thick 2 inch streamers to a ground rod. He used a smooth
aluminum 6 inch sphere as a topload. The coil died soon after do to arcing
to the secondary.