RE: New Neon Transformers

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 22:53 25/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>
>
>Are you suggesting not using a dedicated RF ground and connecting the
>points you mentioned only to the mains ground?  For small mini coils, this
>may be adequate, but for anything with a medium to large power supply
>(like what Dr Resonance was talking about), one really should use a
>dedicated RF ground.

No, you would still connect the base of your secondary coil and your strike
rail (if you have one) to the dedicated RF ground. Obviously with this
scheme, if it strikes the primary then a whole lot of crap will feed back
into the mains ground, so a decent strike rail is recommended.

My 3.5" coil is wired up this way, all the protection filters, transformer
secondaries, primary circuit, etc, are grounded to the ground prong of the
line cord. The secondary and strike rail connect to a separate RF ground
which is usually just a few square meters of chicken wire spread out on the
floor beneath the coil and maybe clipped to the cold water main too.

Steve C.